HBBBackground

Monday 28 May 2012

Where to begin?...

Hi! Where/how to start?! I've been fretting over this very first blog post for quite some time now, but I guess I'd better just get on with it! I've been thinking of starting a blog for a while, but even so I'm still amazingly late to join the party! But it will be good to have a record of the places I visit and of my crafty exploits! The practice will hopefully also help with my currently questionable photography skills!

So, a few photos of things I've made over the last little while (and of the two dogs, I think they'll be making fairly regular appearances on here too)...






This Granny Stripe blanket was my first 'big' crocheted item, I saw the pattern on the wonderful Attic24 blog and knew I wanted to give it a try. Up until that point my crocheting skills were pretty much limited to granny squares, and until I saw this pattern I'd never even thought of using the same stitch but in a straight stripey pattern! DH blanched a little when he saw the amount and variety of colours going into the blanket (I think my colour choices had been a little more sombre up until this blanket!), but he seems to have come round, and the dogs certainly approve of it's snuggliness! This is Malcolm enjoying the blankie, he was a rescue dog so we can't be sure of his exact age and birthday, but he's a parson russell terrier so we're told and is around 11 years old now, and still as mad as when we first got him!

I've also just made one of the May Roses that Lucy at Attic24 has designed, crocheted a couple of the leaves to go with it, the stitched them all together and added a brooch pin to the back, but it's already been posted to my Nana in Yorkshire as I made it for her 92nd birthday tomorrow, and forgot to get a photo before I packaged it up! I was really happy with how it turned out though and how easy it was to follow the pattern, so I think I'll be making quite a few more of them, might even manage to make myself a brooch/hair clip/bag charm/all three!

Have been doing quite a bit of beading too over the last couple of months - made this necklace for a friend's wedding last weekend, with amethyst beads, a pink/coral coloured shell bead from a bracelet I bought and a couple of sections of twisted tubular herringbone weave using tiny size 15 seed beads


It matched my dress and was nice and comfy to wear, but it was a bit of a rushed job, so might have made it differently given more time!  Might take it apart and re-make but we'll have to see - I'm already working on a new rope necklace and have got an idea for another, so it might be a while before I can get back to the amethyst one! This is the current WIP - twisted herringbone again, but this time with size 11's in two colours - don't think I'll make it too much longer, thinking it will look nice as a fairly short necklace



Well, there was me worrying about not knowing what to say in this scary first post, and have just realised have been waffling on for ages! But before I go I'll just add a picture of our other dog Scally, seeing as Malcolm got his piccie on when he was modelling the Granny Stripe blanket! Scally's a border collie/springer spaniel cross, so he's also delightfully bonkers and he's 4 years old:


Marg xx

No comments:

Post a Comment